Admission to Ph.D. in PhilosophyThe Department of Philosophy is now accepting applications from students interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in Philosophy (starting July 2017) at Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University. Students must have an M.A. or M.Phil in Philosophy or a related field in order to be eligible for admission to the Ph.D. program. For our first batch, we will be taking a maximum of four students (either four Ph.D. students or three Ph.D. students and one M.Phil student).
Course Structure(Ph.D. program - 2 semesters for coursework and remaining semesters for Ph.D. thesis) During the first year of the Ph.D. program in Philosophy, students are required to enroll in four philosophy courses (two per semester). Students will be expected to participate actively in class, complete weekly writing assignments, and submit a final research paper for each of the four courses. Upon successful completion of their coursework, students will research and write a Ph.D. thesis on a philosophical topic of their choice. (Please note that the topic of the Ph.D. thesis must be substantially different from the topic of his/her M.Phil thesis). The Ph.D. thesis, rather than being a mere summary of a philosopher's ideas, must advance an original and controversial argument based on extensive research of secondary sources.
- All applicants must hold B.A. and M.A. degrees in Philosophy or a related field in the humanities (minimum 55% marks) from UGC recognised Universities. (5% relaxation in percentage of marks for SC/ST candidates)
- At the moment, we are only accepting male candidates at the Belur Math Campus of Vivekananda University.
- Applicants with a UGC NET-JRF (Junior Research Fellowship)/NET/SET- qualified candidates are strongly preferred, but applicants without a JRF will also be considered.
- The medium of instruction is English, so all applicants must be able to read, write, and converse in English.
How to Apply
Application forms and Admit Card can be downloaded from the links given at the bottom on this page.
Send an email to Dr. Ayon Maharaj (email@example.com) by 15 May 2017 with the subject line "Application for the Ph.D. Program in Philosophy" and with the following THREE attachments:
- The Application Form
- A detailed CV
- A one-page (single-spaced) Statement of Purpose
[The Statement of Purpose should explain why you want to pursue the Ph.D. Program in Philosophy at Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University. You should specify your field(s) of interest and briefly outline the Ph.D. topic you would like to explore. You should edit the Statement of Purpose very carefully and ensure that the English is correct and readable.]
- All applicants will be invited to appear for a written exam on a date selected in June 2017.
- Based on the results of the written exam, selected applicants will be called for an interview. Applicants must bring the original copies of their educational degrees to the interview. Applicants should also be prepared to answer questions about their educational background, their research interests, and their Statement of Purpose.
- Successful applicants will be notified within 24 hours of the interview. The first semester will begin in July 2017.